This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Another KNX-DMX library
Hi all,

After trying the EmbeddedSystems LogicMachine DMX gateway code I found it to work, but have a few rough edges which I didn't like much:
  • It has a delay of up to a second which makes it feel unresponsive
  • It does not feed back to KNX between brightness and state
  • Requires KNX addressing to match DMX addressing
  • It does not support asymmetric on/off timings
  • Lacks in documentation on how some of the internal LM Lua magic works

So I've written something slightly different which solves the above points for me. Started off from the ES code, I first removed the 1-second loop that is implicit in it's transitions code, added KNX mapping and asymmetric timings. The setup is similar to theirs so it's easy to swap over. You can just install both and see which one you like more.

See https://github.com/defl/logicmachine_knxdmx if you're interested. 

(And if you're good at Lua and the LogicMachine API, there are a few open ends in the TODO which might improve it even more but which I didn't bother to figure out yet.)

Regards,
Dennis
Integrated deeper with KNX, the script is now aware of KNX state (on/off) and KNX brightness (0-100%) group addresses and will update state as the brightness changes.

The new config now looks like:  

Enjoy
What rs485-DMX gateway should I get in order to control DMX?
Thank you!!
DMX-512 line is connected directly to LM's RS-485