This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Use Case: LM Ambient / LM5 as Z-wave Controller
I'm wondering if we can use the Ambiant or the LM5 module and use them as z-wave server ? If yes, I can use the same server module for both KNX (wired) and (Z-wave) wireless installations. Is this do-able ?

thanks.
Hi
Yes you can only Ambient has only KNX IP. I would go for LM5. LM is multi-protocol gateway and you can always use all what can do at the same time.
BR
------------------------------
Ctrl+F5
(13.02.2018, 08:33)Daniel. Wrote: Hi
Yes you can only Ambient has only KNX IP. I would go for LM5. LM is multi-protocol gateway and you can always use all what can do at the same time.
BR

The Ambient has a USB interface, does it accept the Zwave dongle ?

My assumption is that the Ambient is a cheaper module targeted towards smaller installations. and the Ambient can also be a multi-protocol gateway but using IP (Modbus/IP etc), bluetooth & USB. The ambient has all the features of visualization and scripting, the only thing missing is KNX interface. 

Smaller customers generally want to go with zwave/wireless, I've used few zwave controllers and all have their pros & cons. I was thinking if I can use the Ambient instead as my Z-wave server, what would be my pitfalls?

On the pros, I would have a customized offline visualization to the z-wave installation, power of scripting, can expand to KNX if required, and only one server to specialize in for both wired & wireless.
We have a prototype version of ambient with optional external KNX/TP add-on board. And yes, Z-Wave USB dongle is supported by all LM devices.
Awesome thanks ! Will try with mine when I receive the shipment.