This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

SMS 3G modem
Hi.

I find that 3G modems tend to be replaced by newer models as time goes by. Any tips for a compact and cost effective 3G modem for sending/reciving sms with LM5?

BR
Kai-Roger
As an alternative you can try a separate modem with RS232 interface.
Thanks. I was hoping for tips about something like the Huawei E303 because of the simlicity and small formfactor.

https://www.google.no/search?q=Huawei+E3...20&bih=943

I plan to have the USB stick modem hidden in a wall plastic junction box above the fuse cabinet.
If you need USB you can try something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-GSM-Seri...3131514003
Thanks. Do you know if this product have good quality and stability?

Is there a good RS232 modem to recommend altso, as an alternative?
Haven't really tried it but should be fine for SMS.

Similar RS232 device:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-GPRS-ATK-SI...1970304125

Both USB and RS232 use GSM modules from the same manufacturer (SIMCom). RS232 version might be bit better because of separate power supply though USB has an advantage of power control via scripts on LM5 so you can reboot the device if needed.
Cool. I will look into it. Thanks.
Hi
Just a question. Wouldn't be VoIP client integrated in LM better solution?
LM5Lp, firmware: 2018.08.22 and 2021.12.15, FlashSYS v2, ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l), kernel 4.4.151 and 4.4.259
Yes, there are many other solutions like paid web services for SMS or something like a bot for Telegram. Using a local modem has one advantage of not depending on Internet connection.
Yes. In my case, i will have the sms sender as a security backup solution in buildings in parallel with communication over the internet.
Is it possible to use a USB2.0 hub on the LM USB port, to connect both GSM and Z-Wave stick?
Yes probably necessary to use power injector.

BR
Kai-Roger
yes, you can do that. But please use external powering for the USB-hub.
Is it LM5 Supports to 4G or 5G USB dongle for sending SMS?
Depends on the model of the dongle, which one do you want to use?

Our recommendation is to use reactor with built-in 3G or 4G modem.

Advantages over USB:
  • External antenna which greatly improves connection quality
  • Can be used for both Internet access and SMS
  • Built-in power supply that uses 24V instead of 5V (USB). This provides much better stability, the modem won't turn off unexpectedly as some USB modems do during transmission due to excessive power usage