This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Connecting 12V open collector output to LM Reactor input
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the best place to ask but I don't know anyone locally to ask this question.

I have a device (EVVA EMZY motorized lock) which has an open collector output described as "max 12V / 300 mA" which I would like to connect to one of the LogicMachine Reactor inputs. The ampere rating is fine but LogciMachine is 24V and this device clearly expects 12V max.

I have tried reading up on open collectors, etc. but I really lack the basic electrical engineering knowledge to even understand most of what I can find about this. I think I need a pull up resistor and probably an optocoupler or a transistor to convert the voltage, but that is about it.

I tried to ask for someone around here who can design this for me but so far no luck. I am really reluctant to just try something, considering both LM and the lock are pretty expensive.

Any ideas? I am sure it is a really simple job for someone who knows what they are doing but that is not me... Sad
Which Reactor version are you using? Newer versions with 1-Wire have +5V output which you can use for pull-up resistor.
Thanks for the reply. I do in fact have the GND and +5V terminals. It is a great idea.

So the connection would be:
1st wire:
LM +5V out <-> pull up resistor <-> open collector on the lock <-> LM digital input
2nd wire:
GND next to the 1wire terminal <-> ground on the lock power supply

Correct?

I assume I need to connect the grounds but that should be fine since both devices are powered by (presumably floating ground) transformers. Right? And I also assume the GND next to the 1wire is connected to the 24V ground which the digital inputs use...?

Any suggestions for the value of the pull up resistor? I am not sure what is the specification of the +5V output. Assuming simple Ohm's law, 10k Ohm resistor should result in 0.5mA draw which should definitely be OK, right?
Alright, here is a picture:

I understand if nobody wants to check my circuitry, but can you (admin perhaps?) confirm, the 1-Wire GND terminal is floating ground? I.e. not connected with the 24V - (ground) terminals? My measurements suggest that is the case which in turn means I have to connect the 1-Wire GND to the 24V - terminal for the digital input to properly work... I think.
(18.11.2018, 10:25)Regis Wrote: Alright, here is a picture:

I understand if nobody wants to check my circuitry, but can you (admin perhaps?) confirm, the 1-Wire GND terminal is floating ground? I.e. not connected with the 24V - (ground) terminals? My measurements suggest that is the case which in turn means I have to connect the 1-Wire GND to the 24V - terminal for the digital input to properly work... I think.

Hi Regis,
If you need help, please post the EVVA EMZY motorized lock datasheet and give the version of your reactor logic machine. 

I am not sure your wiring is correct at this point.

BR,
Chouaibou.
All GND terminals on LM are connected to PSU minus output via a ferrite chip filter. There's no need to connect GND to PSU minus.
Thanks for the replies.

Here is all the EVVA EMZY documentation I could find:

User manual (contains most of the info):
https://www.evva.com/fileadmin/user_uplo...l_1-04.pdf

Datasheet:
http://www.evva.se/fileadmin/files_all/D...35i_EN.pdf

Mounting manual:
https://www.evva.com/fileadmin/user_uplo...139.02.pdf

Sadly none of those contain any examples of the open collector connection. Only the specification (12V 300mA). Sad

I came up with a simplified wiring which I think might work. However it all depends on whether my understanding of how the open collector works in general is correct or not...

Basically I am pulling the +12V from the EVVA PSU rather than the +5V from LogicMachine. It increases the draw current but it should still be negligible I think... (1.2 mA)

EDIT: Also I don't know how to find which LogicMachine version I have. Sad It is about a year old, revision 5, Reactor model, CPU (from system info): ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l). It looks more or less like the LogicMachine5 Reactor IO v2 on the OpenRB web page, but without the BNC connector on top.
Open collector output is either floating or connected to GND. This is why you need a pull-up. The advantage is that external input voltage can be freely chosen. In case of LM inputs any voltage below 30 is fine. Your scheme looks correct.