This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Auto tagging objects with the Visualization editor
Hi,

Have you thought about doing some kind of auto tagging of objects from creating a visiualization?   ie,   the visu will tag the objects based on where they are placed in the visu structure ( building structure - floor - room ).   For example,  if I were to build a structure

First Floor
   Kitchen
   Living
   Study
Second Floor
   Guest Bedroom
   Kids Bedroom
   Master Bedroom

Lets say I add a dimmer ( slider item ) to the kitchen.  That item uses two objects,  brightness value brightness value feedback. Now both of these objects could be automatically assigned tags to show that they are used in the kitchen and first floor.  So looking at the Objects view of the LM you would see something like.

Group address   Object Name                                       Tags
"1/0/0"               Kitchen Ceiling Brightness                     First Floor, Kitchen,  Light
"1/1/0"               Kitchen Ceiling Brightness Feedback     First Floor Feedback, Kitchen Feedback,  Light Feedback

This adds a new level of organization to the objects and allows us to using scripting to take advantage of these tags.   Which I have already done anyway,  by creating my own scene server in the LM.

Thanks,

Roger
Setting tags based on object location in visualization is easy, but there might be a problem if one object is used in multiple places. Gettings tags from name is harder as it requires proper object naming as well and some kind of translation dictionary (Brightness -> Light).

It might be easier when using Mosaic editor (http://forum.logicmachine.net/showthread.php?tid=7), as there we can get object control type (lights, sockets etc) from the widget that has been selected by the user.
Hi,

We are not relying on the name of the object. The name used for the floor and plan is important. Effectively we are tagging by location and type of object ( light, shade, temp reading, etc ) for easier object selection with scripts.

You could have a set of options, "autotag by floor name", "autotag by plan name", "autotag with a custom name" and then "autotag the status object", "status object tag end with".

Thanks,

Roger