This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

DeConz USB Zigbee controller
Hi.

Is it possible to connect DeConz USB Zigbee Controller directly to the LM for controlling Phillip Hue lights?

Or is there some other solution to integrate Phillips Hue directly to LM without needing to have an dedicated hardware/hub in between the LM and the Hue?

BR
Kai-Roger

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
BR
Kai-Roger
Hi,

I have done it with a TI Zigbee dongle, that one worked out of the box..

The goal was to add a SE8300 thermostat wireless and that was successful.

Most difficult part was the configuration as it was a HEX controlled dongle and forming a network was quite a lot of steps (:

When you plug it in, do you see it get accepted and does it get a port assigned in the system log?

I have my doubts that you can add Hue directly as you probably need the master key to do that..

BR,

Erwin
Hi Erwin.

I haven't bought the dongle yet, but i see that "Hue" products can be directly paired to the "Conbee 2 Zigbee USB controller" when setting up a dedicated hub (like a rpi) with "DeConz" software. This setup is then without the official "Hue Hub".

My thoughts was that maybe the LM could be used as hardware instead of the Raspberry, and then i could reduce the need of several hubs ("bottlenecks") connected together thru a "Router" (a weak spot).
Hi,

In any scenario you need a medium to translate to Zigbee, either a dongle or the official HUE bridge is a weakspot in the middle, i would always use the official bridge as it proved itself to be stable, with any dongle and needed self build software i can’t see any benefits..

Another benefit of using the bridge is that you still can use the HUE app in parallel.

In my opinion there is one downside on the bridge and that is that you need to poll for changes and always have a small delay on the status feedback.

We did a project with a lot of RGB and XY HUE lamps, 24 bridges and 12 Wiser for KNX, KNX motion sensors and even several Enocean switches on MPM’s with BACnet to KNX via a Automation Server to control all the HUE lamps and still running without any issue, so why not use the bridge? (:

BR,

Erwin
Hi.

Yes the Hue Bridge works well. I have tested it for some while now, and i see all your arguments for using the bridge. The reason for my question is that i always try to simplify the equipment to save physical space, costs, and to reduce the number of places to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. I understand now that the LM don't have a way to simplify my request without a lot of work to be done.

Hi,

I don’t think your image is quite correct, i think it should be:

LM -> Router -> Bridge -> Hue Lamp

LM -> USB Dongle -> Hue Lamp

So the only element you can eliminate is the router (or switch) and this device is probably the most needed for all other features for this IoT device (:

For cost, yes a dongle is probably a bit cheaper then a HUE bridge and you save a power socket outlet, but the costs of scripting and maintaining a dongle is way more in the end. 

Another plus is that you can place the bridge anywhere in the network where the dongle is only possible on the LM location (often the main cabinet), having the freedom to place it anywhere might solve some Zigbee range limitations. 

The last pro for the bridge is the option to have multiple of them on 1 LM, we did a residential house with 7 bridges on 1 controller, with a dongle this would not be possible.

BR,

Erwin
Yes you could say that there should be an arrow between the LM and USB dongle, but in my head i visualise it different (:

The home network of our clients is somwhere i don't want to be. If can do the programming via a mobile router, and the just "switch" the cable over to the client's router after i am done, then i fell more comfortable.
If i can strip away everything that's communicating over IP, and the home's basic functions (like lights) continue working as intended, then i sleep better at night (:

The costs i'm talking about is if i have to establish an own secondary network for increased stability. Some of the client's private routers is cheap and unpractical.

Yes i totaly agree that it is practical to place the Hue hub central in the house, and have the possibility to connect several to one LM. Although the Conbee stick is spesified to handle 200 Zigbee units, and that will be plenty for our projects.

Is it possible to attach a usb network-card to the LM, and then use static IP on the LM and the Hue Bridge for a dedicated separate network?