This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Ambient Power Supply
Hi,

i just received my logicmachine ambient. Now i need to power it.
i have a 8xSVV cable between my eletrical panel and my ambient.

can i use this 8x SVV for my ethernet and my 24v wiring ?
i would attach rj45 connectors with 4 wires (1,2,3,6) and use 4,5 for my 24vdc.

will this work ?

thx
(30.04.2016, 20:04)duvelken Wrote: Hi,

i just received my logicmachine ambient. Now i need to power it.
i have a 8xSVV cable between my eletrical panel and my ambient.

can i use this 8x SVV for my ethernet and my 24v wiring ?
i would attach rj45 connectors with 4 wires (1,2,3,6) and use 4,5 for my 24vdc.

will this work ?

thx

You may use wires 4,5 for +24v and 7,8 for GND, as shown on the following schematic.
(taked from http://www.eidusa.com/KITS/KIT_PICS_1/IN...48_SCH.jpg)

It's the way I'm power my LM Ambient since last december, and it works great !
BR
- MooseLight

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Mooselight,

thx for the quick reply, i'll try and hook it up later on Smile

grts
Duvelken
Hi,

I've cut a Patch cable in half and added 24V from my cabinet transfo onto the cable. Everything worked fine.

Now i needed to place the LM Ambien in the living room, only problem as stated in my first post is that i only have SVV cable running in the house so i connected a piece of UTP + RJ45 connector on each side and i connected the cable to my 16port POE Switch and activated the 24V Passive POE.

when i wave to the Ambient i get the LED's working so the 24V is working. But i didn't get to see the ambien on my network so i did a cable test from the switch web interface where is got "crosstalk" as cable status.

Might this be the problem ? no data transmission over the SVV cable ?

greetings
(02.01.2017, 14:58)duvelken Wrote: Hi,

I've cut a Patch cable in half and added 24V from my cabinet transfo onto the cable. Everything worked fine.
Might this be the problem ? no data transmission over the SVV cable ?

greetings

Dear Duvekken,

I think the SVV cable cannot transmit the Ethernet signal, who need twisted pair cables, which the SVV is not.
One solution could be using PLC adapters .. but in that case you'll need to have a power plug near the LM Ambient. 
One problem remain in that solution, the fact you'll need to provide 24v directly to the LM Ambient .. 

So, may be the "easy way" will be to replace your SVV cable with an ethernet CAT 5 one ...

Sorry not having a better solution.
Hope this help
- Jean-Claude
hi Jean-Claude,

thx for your feedback.
indeed, after doing some research the not twisted SVV will be the problem.
i have a power plug "near" the ambient but that is a wall plug in the wall, see picture.

for the 24V its not an issue, i can use the SVV for 24V.
where you see the holes on the picture, thats where i need to put the Ambient.

the ethernet plug is just drilled down to the cables you see coming out, which is the SVV.

at this point, i'm out of options i think Smile

greatings

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As you have power plugs available just under the LM Ambient place, you may use PLC adapters like the TP-Link Nano TL-PA2010.
What do you think about that solution ?
(13.01.2017, 16:09)mooselight Wrote: As you have power plugs available just under the LM Ambient place, you may use PLC adapters like the TP-Link Nano TL-PA2010.
What do you think about that solution ?

My wife kills me Smile
it's in the center of my living room..... i will need to plug in an adapter and just hang an utp cable in plain sight.
i think i'll try the USB drivers in the next beta firmware to solve issue.

thx