This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Helvar DALI router integration
Hi everyone!

I am starting to integrate Helvar DALI routers to LogicMachine, I have a project that has 9 routers and about 1000 DALI addresses. Before I start, I thought I ask if anyone already has integrated it to LogicMachine?

Helvar has this feature called HelvarNet that uses UDP and TCP protocols for communication, by documentation, it seems quite straightforward, but I am wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience/examples of full system integration that includes reading and writing values.

If you can share your knowledge, experience, and information on the following questions, it would be appreciated.
  • How well Helvar handles requests and how stable it is? I would like to get data from sensors and ballasts as frequently as possible.
  • Any problems that you have encountered?
  • How big systems you have integrated and what kind of parameters you read/write, any limits you have encountered?
  • Should I use multiple LMs to maximize reliability and speed? I am quite confident that LM can process that kind of amount of requests nicely, I am afraid of what happens with the Helvar router performance and will it affect DALI control (delays).
  • Any tips to optimize communication?
Have you seen this thread? https://forum.logicmachine.net/showthread.php?tid=2598
It has some basic examples for HelvarNet communication.
(13.11.2020, 07:14)admin Wrote: Have you seen this thread? https://forum.logicmachine.net/showthread.php?tid=2598
It has some basic examples for HelvarNet communication.
Yes, I have seen that and also tested it, thanks!
(12.11.2020, 14:03)martinm Wrote: Hi everyone!

I am starting to integrate Helvar DALI routers to LogicMachine, I have a project that has 9 routers and about 1000 DALI addresses. Before I start, I thought I ask if anyone already has integrated it to LogicMachine?

Helvar has this feature called HelvarNet that uses UDP and TCP protocols for communication, by documentation, it seems quite straightforward, but I am wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience/examples of full system integration that includes reading and writing values.

If you can share your knowledge, experience, and information on the following questions, it would be appreciated.
  • How well Helvar handles requests and how stable it is? I would like to get data from sensors and ballasts as frequently as possible.
  • Any problems that you have encountered?
  • How big systems you have integrated and what kind of parameters you read/write, any limits you have encountered?
  • Should I use multiple LMs to maximize reliability and speed? I am quite confident that LM can process that kind of amount of requests nicely, I am afraid of what happens with the Helvar router performance and will it affect DALI control (delays).
  • Any tips to optimize communication?
Hi. 
I started with a similar integration, but that projekt was put a side for a while. So I just got the connection to see status from 1 dali adress from 1 router with the help from that link. 
I think your biggest limits here with the speed is on the Dali bus, that is a very slow one :-)