This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Modbus profile generator
If somebody struggle to play directly with json file here is Excel file where you can just fill it in and generate the profile.

.xlsm   Modbus-Profile-Generator.xlsm (Size: 78.84 KB / Downloads: 637)

The json file will be created in the same folder where the Profile generator is and it will have the same name, you can change the name as you want.
Make sure to enable Macros in Excel!
For custom values just create new sheet and create a table for enumeration, Put the sheet name in the value_custom cell.
If you need additional parameters just rename spare column name to needed parameter name and start filling it in. 
Modbus documentation is here https://openrb.com/docs/modbus.htm
------------------------------
Ctrl+F5
(08.12.2020, 12:06)Daniel. Wrote: If somebody struggle to play directly with json file here is Excel file where you can just fill it in and generate the profile.

The json file will be created in the same folder where the Profile generator is and it will have the same name, you can change the name as you want.
For custom values just create new sheet and create a table for enumeration, Put the sheet name in the value_custom cell.
If you need additional parameters just rename spare column name to needed parameter name and start filling it in. 
Thank you Daniel. Great work.

Sent fra min SM-G980F via Tapatalk
Thank you very much Daniel extremely useful tool. It would not be too much for something similar to be included in LM.
a greeting
(08.12.2020, 12:06)Daniel. Wrote: If somebody struggle to play directly with json file here is Excel file where you can just fill it in and generate the profile.

Hi Daniel

Great tool!
I have one problem though. I have added addresses for a device where there are several custom values. I have added one sheet for each table of enumeration and entered the sheet name in the cell of respective address.

When I run the macro I get an error in the subfunction, saying the subscript is out of range and highlighting the line number 3 in the below code.

Any good idea of what I do wrong?
Code:
Function customValues2Dict(WorksheetName As String)
    Dim jsonCustomValues As New Dictionary
    Worksheets(WorksheetName).Activate
    NumRows = Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown)).Rows.Count
    For Row = 1 To NumRows
        jsonCustomValues(Cells(Row, 1)) = Cells(Row, 2)
    Next Row
    Set customValues2Dict = jsonCustomValues
End Function
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary and those who don't  Cool
I would guess you made a typo in the name of enum sheet.
Ctrl+F5
(21.12.2020, 15:13)Daniel. Wrote: I would guess you made a typo in the name of enum sheet.
Yes, that was my first guess too, so I copied the name of the sheet into the cell, but no luck. I then removed all values from the value_custom column, and still same error.

(22.12.2020, 06:23)Trond Hoyem Wrote:
(21.12.2020, 15:13)Daniel. Wrote: I would guess you made a typo in the name of enum sheet.
Yes, that was my first guess too, so I copied the name of the sheet into the cell, but no luck. I then removed all values from the value_custom column, and still same error.

OK, figured it out. I did not realize that I needed to set the value_custom to 'null' if there is no custom values. I had removed the original lines from the sheet and started to add my own, and then this was just empty cells...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary and those who don't  Cool
Hello
First of all great tool, it makes the job of making a profile much easier.
The question is that I have noticed that the generated JSON file contains one less record than indicated in the mapping sheet.
In the example itself there is the Output 10 line and in the generated JSOn file it does not appear, it stays in Output 9.
a greeting
In did, I updated the generator in the original post.
Ctrl+F5
Thanks it works perfectly.
a greeting
Hi, I get an error when I try to generate the profle.
I use MS Office 385 on two different PC anche strange thing is it work perfectly on one and even in the other PC I get errors.

Can you see what happens?

Thank in advance

Peppe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.xlsm   sacchi.xlsm (Size: 76.56 KB / Downloads: 6)
I'm using office 365 not 385 Wink  and it just worked for me. Did you enable the content when it asked. Your profile attached. Didn't change anything.

Attached Files
.json   sacchi.json (Size: 44.48 KB / Downloads: 13)
Ctrl+F5
Pardon, 365 Smile
I do the same things in both PC with the same Office version.

That's very strange... could be a Pc Security policy or another installed software causing it?
The only thing what I can think of is this.

Ctrl+F5
(17.11.2021, 14:47)Daniel Wrote: The only thing what I can think of is this.

mmm.. no. Because the macro goes on until it stops on a certain line, as you can see in the picture...

I 'll investigate, I will let you know  Smile
I think it has something to do with the xlsm file path. Try putting it into a different folder.
(17.11.2021, 14:52)admin Wrote: I think it has something to do with the xlsm file path. Try putting it into a different folder.

Already done. Tried in diffent folders, ieven in desktop...
I found the cause of the problem... but not the solution! Smile

cdir = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path

But Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path is not the path you can see on the picture ("https:\\ ... ect.")

The actual path is "C:\user\Peppe\Desktop"

I checked it on the PC in which it works and I found the right path.

That's very strange because it is the same file in the same position (Desktop) on two different PCs.

I also reinstalled Office but nothing changed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi
Try this one. It should always export to Desktop. Regardless where the file is.

Attached Files
.xlsm   Modbus-Profile-Generator export to Desktop.xlsm (Size: 79.5 KB / Downloads: 101)
Ctrl+F5
(18.11.2021, 10:01)Daniel Wrote: Hi
Try this one. It should always export to Desktop. Regardless where the file is.

Perfect! That's what I thought I was doing, but I was uncertain about the syntax to use...

Thank you so much

BR

Peppe
Hi,

I would like to have a total of 7 custom_values worksheets to use in the value_custom drop down menu. Can this be done?