This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway
Hi,

I'm using the DALI RS485 gateway for LogicMachine (LM5Lp2), but I am having trouble scanning for devices in the DALI tab on the web interface of LogicMachine.

When I try to scan for devices, I get a popup stating that LM is "Scanning...". I've hooked up a USB interface and opened a DALI traffic monitor, and I just get loads of "framing error" messages on the traffic. This stops as soon LM stops scanning.

By using the USB interface and the software "DALI Cockpit" I am perfectly able to scan for devices and control the lights. However, as soon as I try to scan with LM, I get this framing error. I've tried to communicate through scripts, but I only get "timeout" when doing that.

The weird thing is that as late as yesterday, I had test-bench at home with one of the lamps and the same components as I did at the actual site. Wired up the same way, same components, no trouble. I found the 1 device I had connected and was able to control the lamp through scripts.

I googled "DALI framing error" and got a PDF from ABB stating that a "framing error" appears on their devices whenever a duplicate address is found. So I tried to disconnect every single lamp from the DALI circuit, but still I got the "framing error". I tried only connecting one lamp. Same thing.

What can I try to get this working again?

Image of LogicMachine scanning and the DALI traffic monitor:

First, run "Scan gateways" and see if the RS485 gateway is still there. If it appears in the list then try testing again with a single ballast and see if works. If it does not appear it's possible the it is damaged and must be replaced.
Another thing to try is to send a broadcast arc command from a script to check whether you can control ballasts this way or not.
(21.09.2021, 06:15)admin Wrote: First, run "Scan gateways" and see if the RS485 gateway is still there. If it appears in the list then try testing again with a single ballast and see if works. If it does not appear it's possible the it is damaged and must be replaced.
Another thing to try is to send a broadcast arc command from a script to check whether you can control ballasts this way or not.

Thanks for your reply. I always find the gateway I expect, so it's in the list.

I ran this script:
Code:
require 'user.dali'

res, err = dalicmd(0, 'arc', { addrtype = 'broadcast', value = 0 })

log(res, err)

What came back was: 
Code:
dali_test 21.09.2021 12:24:34
* arg: 1
  * nil
* arg: 2
  * string: timeout

I've now tried the following:
  • Deleting the `user.dali` script and rebooting. The script re-appears as expected, but still does not work.
  • Use another RS485 port on the LM5. The gateway appears after changing the port in the DALI tab, but still can't find any lamps or control them by scripts.

I have another LM5 with me, so I'll now be trying to replace the other one.

Edit: After swapping the LM5s, I'm still getting a framing error on the network and no devices appear in the device list. Could the DALI gateway be broken? I bought it in July and it's only been used at home for testing one lamp for this project. I can write new gateway ID to the gateway, the LED is on when i press the button on it. It appears to be fine from the outside.
I don't see any other option apart from replacing the RS485 gateway.
(22.09.2021, 12:48)admin Wrote: I don't see any other option apart from replacing the RS485 gateway.

As I mentioned, it's only two months old. Will I get a replacement on warranty? I've arranged with my vendor to order a new one pending the result of this thread, as it's important to get the site up and running. Can they ship the defective gateway back to you?
I see no problem in getting a replacement. It will be easier to sort this out via e-mail.