This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

LM Ambient and RS-485
Hello,

is there any version of LM Ambient with RS-485? I found this information here:
http://openrb.com/lm/#/step-4

but when I've checked on the other places there is no information about RS-485 in LM Ambient. This was only concept?
Current HW version has 1-wire but no RS-485. It has USB but it might be tricky to get a cable small enough to hide it, because it's meant for tiny USB sticks (for example, Z-Wave).
(04.10.2016, 06:56)admin Wrote: Current HW version has 1-wire but no RS-485. It has USB but it might be tricky to get a cable small enough to hide it, because it's meant for tiny USB sticks (for example, Z-Wave).

I have one question about RS485 in LM Load Balancer. What kind of USB-RS-485 converter do you recommend and how can I find this serial port to use this port in the script?
Hello buuuudzik,
we use this converter: FTDI  US232R which costs about 22 Eur. You can use it simply like this:

Code:
require('serial')

-- open port on first call
if not port then   
  port = serial.open('/dev/ttyUSB0', { baudrate = 19200, databits = 8, stopbits = 1, parity = 'none', duplex = 'full' })
port:flush()
  log("Port Initialized")
end

-- your code next...
All adapters support by smaller LMs are supported by Load Balancer. /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct name for the first USB serial connected, you can also see a list of internal and external ports in System config -> Status -> System status -> Serial ports tab. Beware that cheap FT232-based adapters from China come with counterfeit chips, though they still seem to work properly Smile
So normally when I use some other but with original RS485 chip it should be visible in the Serial tab? But how can I use this FT232 for RS-485?
Original and counterfeit chips work exactly the same way from the system point of view.
This one clearly has counterfeit chip but seems to work correctly:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-USB-to-TT...1786656282

The one that Peter suggested is RS232, not RS485. You can also get USB-RS485 there, but looking at provided schematics it seems to be lacking line-biasing resistors (which are present on chinese board), which are needed for proper operation.
(24.10.2016, 07:58)admin Wrote: Original and counterfeit chips work exactly the same way from the system point of view.
This one clearly has counterfeit chip but seems to work correctly:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-USB-to-TT...1786656282

The one that Peter suggested is RS232, not RS485. You can also get USB-RS485 there, but looking at provided schematics it seems to be lacking line-biasing resistors (which are present on chinese board), which are needed for proper operation.

So as I see some converters have support for both standards and some have support for only rs232. In the past I saw such situations when somebody connects converter via DB9(only 3 pins) to RS485. So at this moment all is clearWink