This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Error on some of the addresses when reading Modbus on the Eastron SDM72DM-V2 electric
Hello everyone,

Have a small issue with reading Modbus addresses on the Eastron SDM72DM-V2 electricity meter.

It is an error that repeats itself at several addresses, but an example could be when reading volts on phases 1, 2 and 3.
Has exactly the same setup for reading on all three phases.
"manufacturer": "Eastron SDM72DM-V2",
  "description": "Three Phase Four Wire Energy Meter",
  "read_swap": "n",
  "mapping": [
    { "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 3, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 5, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " }
]
}
Phase 1 answer: 234,760
Phase 2 answer: 234,020
Which is correct.
Phase 3 answer: 9,959
Which is not correct.

If I use the LM Read test at address 5, I get the same incorrect reading.

If I put a USB-Modbus reader in my PC and read at address 5, I get 233,331 back. Which is correct.
Have also tried with a KNX/Modbus-Gateway and here I also get the correct answer back.

So what am I doing wrong in my LM Modbus setup.?  Huh

Link to Eastron SDM72DM-V2 electricity meter manual/modbus:
https://xn--stromzhler-v5a.eu/media/pdf/...2DM-V2.pdf
(06.11.2022, 08:46)JanJJ Wrote: Hello everyone,

Have a small issue with reading Modbus addresses on the Eastron SDM72DM-V2 electricity meter.

It is an error that repeats itself at several addresses, but an example could be when reading volts on phases 1, 2 and 3.
    { "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 3, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 5, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " }
]
}
Which is correct.
Which is not correct.

If I put a USB-Modbus reader in my PC and read at address 5, I get 233,331 back. Which is correct.
Have also tried with a KNX/Modbus-Gateway and here I also get the correct answer back.

Hi, I got a similar problem, and I solved reding registers starting from 0 (if my memory doesn't joke me).
    { "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 2, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 4, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " }
best regards Cristian
(06.11.2022, 11:00)CristianAgata Wrote:
(06.11.2022, 08:46)JanJJ Wrote: Hello everyone,

]
}
Which is correct.
Which is not correct.

Hi, I got a similar problem, and I solved reding registers starting from 0 (if my memory doesn't joke me).
    { "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 2, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral volts", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 4, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V " }
best regards Cristian

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.  Smile

Doesn't work for me, unfortunately. Sad
also tried:

{ "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral voltsJ", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "read_offset": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral voltsJ", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 2, "read_offset": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral voltsJ", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 4, "read_offset": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
    { "name": "Phase 1 line to neutral voltsL", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "read_offset": 1, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
    { "name": "Phase 2 line to neutral voltsL", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "read_offset": 3, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
    { "name": "Phase 3 line to neutral voltsL", "bus_datatype": "float32", "type": "input register", "address": 0, "read_offset": 5, "datatype": "float32", "units": "V" },
Hello again,

Looks like it's actually not phase 3 I can't read.
Is phase 1 there is unreadable.
Which means that phase 3 I read with address 3. there is 2 less than 5.
(Yes that is correct here I prove I am able to subtract 2 from 5  Rolleyes )

But that means I have to read phase 1 with address 0 minus 1. So address -1... hmmm What is wrong in my LM Modbus setup.?

Pretty sure it's a setup issue. since I can read all phases from other Modbus master devices
Do not use read_offset, set the address directly. The real address is in the "Modbus Protocol Start Address Hex" column which is address - 30001 for input registers. Note that there's no space in "inputregister". You might need to use a different read_swap mode to get correct results. Use Read test to confirm the correct settings before making a profile.
(07.11.2022, 09:01)admin Wrote: Do not use read_offset, set the address directly. The real address is in the "Modbus Protocol Start Address Hex" column which is address - 30001 for input registers. Note that there's no space in "inputregister". You might need to use a different read_swap mode to get correct results. Use Read test to confirm the correct settings before making a profile.

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I noticed that read_offset doesn't help much.
I think it's auto-correction that gets the text "input registers" split up.
Is correct in the profile "inputregisters".

Regarding read_swap
Have tested all options in Read test and only None (ABCD) / "read_swap": "n" returns a correct number/answer.

I found out it is the first address I can not read.
According to the Modbus register for the electricity meter. is the first address (30001) / address 1. Phase 1 measurement. Address 30003 and 30005 have phase 2 and 3.

If I read at address 1, I get phase 2 measurement and at address 3 I get phase 3 measurement.
This also happens again at many of the other addresses, e.g. should you get the reading for Hz at address 71, but get it at 69.

If I read with another Modbus master unit, I get the correct values/responses to the addresses given in the instructions.

So it must be an LM Modbus setup I have wrong.?
Then it's just something I'm missing in my LM Modbus profile.
Many devices document Modbus addressing starting from 1 but in reality it starts from 0. LM uses 0-based addressing.

When reading from address 1 you are actually reading one register from phase 1 and another from phase 2. Together they form a value that looks valid but it is not. This is why phase 3 reading is not working.

Use read test, set datatype to float32 and address to 0. Find the correct swap mode that produces a valid result.
(07.11.2022, 11:18)admin Wrote: Many devices document Modbus addressing starting from 1 but in reality it starts from 0. LM uses 0-based addressing.

When reading from address 1 you are actually reading one register from phase 1 and another from phase 2. Together they form a value that looks valid but it is not. This is why phase 3 reading is not working.

Use read test, set datatype to float32 and address to 0. Find the correct swap mode that produces a valid result.

Hi, Thanks again for the feedback.

Hold on, I've tried a lot. So when you wrote I should try with address 0 I was about to write that I had tried it. And I thought I would just write what value I got back via address 0.
Then read from address 0 and got. -5.91478243391053e+34 in response.
And thought Yes, see what I said it didn't work either.. Dodgy
But... Then I thought I'd just try reading with Word (CDAB) instead of None (ABCD).

And... I had made a mistake.. You were right..  Rolleyes 
Now getting the correct values back.. My setup should be Word (CDAB) and not None (ABCD).

I bow and thank you from here and crawl back into my hole..
Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day..  Smile Blush
Sincerely. Jan