This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

SD card End-Of-Life on LM3V2
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my LM3 V2 to the latest version : lm3v2-20211215.img

Unfortunatelly, firmware doesn't flash and I can't even restore the latest project backup which has now come back to an old version from May 2021. Even most recents Objects log are from that date...

So reading some other threads, it looks like my SD card has gone wild, the original Samsung 4Gb.

I ordered two industrial SD cards, WD 8Gb and SanDisk 16Gb (no SLC), that I should receive next week.

Time being I would like to know If I've got everything needed to restart from scratch.

Here is my current LM/CPU :
[Image: fc6e4e35a1d4b5d774a0a043bc224989.png]
[Image: 7fa84da18e3d9fbe053d83e4b87cc8d8.png]

Is "recovery-mxs-1g.img.gz" the right recovery image to flash first with USBIT ?

By the way, is there any trick to make use of the extra space on the SD Card, I mean use the 4 to 12 extra Gb after the 4Gb initial allocation made when flashing the recovery image.
Would resizing partitions work ? Some of the new cards seems to have an internal wear management like SSDs. Having more available size would spread the wear on a bigger size and probably extend the card life.

Thanks for the help.
Best regards, Laurent.
-- LM3 V2 --
The recovery image is correct. Wear leveling is done on flash block level not on the file system level. So the partition size does not matter. LM writes to SD is finely tuned to minimize the amount of writes. It's virtually impossible to break the card by writes during normal operation.
I received the new SD cards and everything is back to the latest version and state.
Thanks, that was quite fast and efficient.

I do not think having made anything abnormal. I may be played a lot registering data from the heating and vent system, there was by all times a lot of free memory left.

Thanks again for the restoration of backups, works like a breeze.
Best regards, Laurent.
-- LM3 V2 --