Logic Machine Forum
Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - Printable Version

+- Logic Machine Forum (https://forum.logicmachine.net)
+-- Forum: LogicMachine eco-system (https://forum.logicmachine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gateway (https://forum.logicmachine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway (/showthread.php?tid=3569)

Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - avolle - 20.09.2021

Hi,

I'm using the DALI RS485 gateway for LogicMachine (LM5Lp2), but I am having trouble scanning for devices in the DALI tab on the web interface of LogicMachine.

When I try to scan for devices, I get a popup stating that LM is "Scanning...". I've hooked up a USB interface and opened a DALI traffic monitor, and I just get loads of "framing error" messages on the traffic. This stops as soon LM stops scanning.

By using the USB interface and the software "DALI Cockpit" I am perfectly able to scan for devices and control the lights. However, as soon as I try to scan with LM, I get this framing error. I've tried to communicate through scripts, but I only get "timeout" when doing that.

The weird thing is that as late as yesterday, I had test-bench at home with one of the lamps and the same components as I did at the actual site. Wired up the same way, same components, no trouble. I found the 1 device I had connected and was able to control the lamp through scripts.

I googled "DALI framing error" and got a PDF from ABB stating that a "framing error" appears on their devices whenever a duplicate address is found. So I tried to disconnect every single lamp from the DALI circuit, but still I got the "framing error". I tried only connecting one lamp. Same thing.

What can I try to get this working again?

Image of LogicMachine scanning and the DALI traffic monitor:

RE: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - admin - 21.09.2021

First, run "Scan gateways" and see if the RS485 gateway is still there. If it appears in the list then try testing again with a single ballast and see if works. If it does not appear it's possible the it is damaged and must be replaced.
Another thing to try is to send a broadcast arc command from a script to check whether you can control ballasts this way or not.

RE: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - avolle - 21.09.2021

(21.09.2021, 06:15)admin Wrote: First, run "Scan gateways" and see if the RS485 gateway is still there. If it appears in the list then try testing again with a single ballast and see if works. If it does not appear it's possible the it is damaged and must be replaced.
Another thing to try is to send a broadcast arc command from a script to check whether you can control ballasts this way or not.

Thanks for your reply. I always find the gateway I expect, so it's in the list.

I ran this script:
Code:
require 'user.dali'

res, err = dalicmd(0, 'arc', { addrtype = 'broadcast', value = 0 })

log(res, err)

What came back was: 
Code:
dali_test 21.09.2021 12:24:34
* arg: 1
  * nil
* arg: 2
  * string: timeout

I've now tried the following:
  • Deleting the `user.dali` script and rebooting. The script re-appears as expected, but still does not work.
  • Use another RS485 port on the LM5. The gateway appears after changing the port in the DALI tab, but still can't find any lamps or control them by scripts.

I have another LM5 with me, so I'll now be trying to replace the other one.

Edit: After swapping the LM5s, I'm still getting a framing error on the network and no devices appear in the device list. Could the DALI gateway be broken? I bought it in July and it's only been used at home for testing one lamp for this project. I can write new gateway ID to the gateway, the LED is on when i press the button on it. It appears to be fine from the outside.

RE: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - admin - 22.09.2021

I don't see any other option apart from replacing the RS485 gateway.

RE: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - avolle - 22.09.2021

(22.09.2021, 12:48)admin Wrote: I don't see any other option apart from replacing the RS485 gateway.

As I mentioned, it's only two months old. Will I get a replacement on warranty? I've arranged with my vendor to order a new one pending the result of this thread, as it's important to get the site up and running. Can they ship the defective gateway back to you?

RE: Framing error on DALI RS485 gateway - admin - 23.09.2021

I see no problem in getting a replacement. It will be easier to sort this out via e-mail.