This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Lua - require only a part of library
Is there such possibility like in NODE JS?

Code:
const {calcDistance} = geoFunctions;

I think this could be a nice feature.
Done is better than perfect
Hi,

You can always create a new lib with part of functions you need..

I don’t see any added value to this only when you have huge libs with lots of functions that would be loaded, creating several user libs has the same result...

Next to that i have never seen huge user libs up to now..

BR,

Erwin
(14.08.2018, 07:11)Erwin van der Zwart Wrote: Hi,

You can always create a new lib with part of functions you need..

I don’t see any added value to this only when you have huge libs with lots of functions that would be loaded, creating several user libs has the same result...

Next to that i have never seen huge user libs up to now..

BR,

Erwin

Yes I know but in NODE JS this is normal. And current direction is to use only what necessary and not unnecessarily import something.

Added value is I think in performance(maybe a little but it is, and LM is a little CPU so optimization is important). Another advantage is that you can declare above your code what variables and functions you are use from the library. This would be especially useful with Common functions.
Hi,

I don’t think a couple of KB’s will be realy noticed by the CPU.. 

When it’s called by a event it will be unloaded after the event so it’s only temperary load.

Also i would never use common functions for special functions, only when functions are needed by the majority of the scripts i would put it there, otherwise it’s always better to require them when needed.

Even the default functions in common functions should by moved to a user lib if you ask me, sunset calc or mail are not used by the majority of the scripts but loaded by every script, if you worry about unneeded load i would start there (:

I see your point but splitting your functions by several user libs or putting the function direct in your script is just as effective..

BR,

Erwin
Yes, I am optimizing Common functions and also normally I'm not using auto load libraries. Post was more induced by inspiration of JS environment and it's modern featuresWink

Nice to see your opinion ErwinWink