This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

New Modbus mapper feature
As creating new Modbus profiles is not the most user-friendly task, we have added a new feature that allows reading any Modbus coil or register straight from the user interface. This should help users to find correct settings and addresses before creating new profiles. This feature will be available in the upcoming firmware. For now it only works with RTU connection, TCP is planned to be implemented later.

WOW, cool Feature... very nice :-)
Nice touch, that thing will help many modbus beginners.

Could you add two additional functions to this program? This is what I've found useful when testing modbus devices:
One is the ability to set start and stop register, eg. 100-110 will read from 100 to 110 by the "read length" increment. Then show that in the list. The other is cyclical read of set registers (every x seconds) until stopped.
(07.06.2016, 13:25)zoltan Wrote: Nice touch, that thing will help many modbus beginners.

Could you add two additional functions to this program?  This is what I've found useful when testing modbus devices:
One is the ability to set start and stop register, eg. 100-110 will read from 100 to 110 by the "read length" increment. Then show that in the list. The other is cyclical read of set registers (every x seconds) until stopped.

Hi Zoltan,

I think what you are asking for is already existing in a ModBus scanner tools, that are available free of charge. Basically when it comes to ModBus integration, I always use first such scanner tool together with RS232/RS485 interface to make some tests, to check communication and register values at the slave. After that I am implementing ModBus integration to the system.
I have found it is the fastest way, much faster then to load configuration to the device test, change, test, test .... etc ....
Of course the feature above is a great help, but personally I will stay on a scanner tool that has many more features for testing the communication.
(07.06.2016, 15:28)George Przygoda Wrote: Hi Zoltan,

I think what you are asking for is already existing in a ModBus scanner tools, that are available free of charge. Basically when it comes to ModBus integration, I always use first such scanner tool together with RS232/RS485 interface to make some tests, to check communication and register values at the slave. After that I am implementing ModBus integration to the system.
I have found it is the fastest way, much faster then to load configuration to the device test, change, test, test .... etc ....
Of course the feature above is a great help, but personally I will stay on a scanner tool that has many more features for testing the communication.

Hi George,

Yes, it exist in the form of standalone tool(s), but this is an announcement of a new functionality in the LM itself. That's why I jumped in and asked for that additional touch, it should be trivial after the rest is already done. Then this little tool can be really handy.

I personally prefer the same method you suggested, and never blindly trust the documentation or the 3rd party technicians words - I test all and every data points before integration. But you don't always have  a USB to RS485 converter at hand, or this is maybe your first time doing modbus so you don't have one at all.
(09.06.2016, 12:34)zoltan Wrote: "... never blindly trust the documentation or the 3rd party technicians words ..."

Exactly !