This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm that you accept these cookies being set.

Load balancing EV-charger?
Hi!

I've just started looking in to this.
Anyone communicating with an EV-charger and load balancing the main fuses?
Found an old thread Peak load limiter But perhaps there's more threads on this?
I wanna try using a Zaptec. They got an API. https://api.zaptec.com/

Any suggestion on what to measure current with? Is a modbus energy meter the way to go? Pros/Cons? In my case, 3x20A main fuses.

Cheers
The API can be integrated but they don't recommend changing the current settings more often than once in 15 minutes. I don't think it's possible to deal with instantaneous spikes in current consumption like turning on an electric kettle. A partial solution would be to change the max current based on some schedule: higher limit at night, lower limit during daytime.
(05.02.2024, 13:48)admin Wrote: The API can be integrated but they don't recommend changing the current settings more often than once in 15 minutes. I don't think it's possible to deal with instantaneous spikes in current consumption like turning on an electric kettle. A partial solution would be to change the max current based on some schedule: higher limit at night, lower limit during daytime.

Ok. I haven't had the time to read their documentation thoroughly yet, but have you read somewhere that Zaptec do not recommend changing more often than that? Or did you mean to write 5 min perhaps.

I contacted their swedish support about this and they replied: 
Enegic (a "dynamic" load balancing unit that can communicate with Zaptec EV-chargers) communicates via our open API's, they're sending heartbeats every 5 minutes and then adjustments when needed.

So perhaps I could do the same.
Any limitations on the LM side that you can think of?

Regards,
Peter
Try getting a charger that can communicate over modbus instead. That way it’ll be faster, more reliable and you don’t need to depend on the charger company’s cloud to be online. Or your internet provider for that sake.

We made software that balances up to 300 chargers with one SpaceLYnk (LM), so there are “no limitations”.
(06.02.2024, 15:21)FatMax Wrote: Try getting a charger that can communicate over modbus instead. That way it’ll be faster, more reliable and you don’t need to depend on the charger company’s cloud to be online. Or your internet provider for that sake.

We made software that balances up to 300 chargers with one SpaceLYnk (LM), so there are “no limitations”.

True. The modbus-ones i know of cost a bit more but perhaps they're the best choice for this .
You wouldn't mind sharing that software, or a 1-3 charge point version of it?  Big Grin